This freezer-friendly vegan breakfast burrito is perfect for busy mornings! It's packed with fresh veggies, black beans, and a yummy tofu scramble.
Can you imagine getting out of bed in the morning, knowing that a vegan breakfast burrito is already waiting for you in the kitchen? You don’t have to do a ton of prep or clean up. Heck, you don’t really have to do anything except for popping it in the microwave and eating it. Does that sound idyllic or what?
Well, my friend, I have good news for you. This vegan breakfast burrito freezes perfectly, so you can a prep stash in advance and keep them on hand for busy mornings. They’re healthy, flavorful, and packed with plant-based protein. Served with a little salsa for dipping, they’re a fresh, satisfying way to start the day.
Vegan Breakfast Burrito Recipe Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this vegan breakfast burrito recipe:
- Tofu scramble – You’ll often find scrambled eggs in a regular breakfast burrito, so in this vegan recipe, I use my Easy Tofu Scramble instead. It’s simple and flavorful, seasoned with turmeric, cumin, and nutritional yeast.
- Black beans – A breakfast burrito essential! Along with the tofu scramble, they pack this recipe with plant-based protein.
- Avocado – I love its creamy texture with the crisp veggies.
- Roasted red bell pepper – For color and crunch.
- Spinach – It makes this vegan breakfast burrito feel light and fresh.
- Serrano peppers – They add more crunch and give the burrito a spicy kick. Pickled jalapeños would be great here too!
- Pickled red onions – For a bright pop of flavor. If you don’t have any on hand, scallions are a good substitute.
- And large flour tortillas – To wrap it all up!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
How to Make a Vegan Breakfast Burrito
This vegan breakfast burrito recipe isn’t hard to make, but you do have to prepare several components before you assemble the burritos. Luckily, the pickled red onions, roasted red peppers, and tofu scramble can all be made a day or two in advance. Once you have them on hand, making the burritos is a breeze!
Arrange a layer of spinach leaves at the center of each tortilla. Top it with the tofu scramble, black beans, avocado, pickled red onions, and roasted and raw peppers. Season the filling with a sprinkle of salt and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
Finally, fold! Fold the bottom flap of the tortilla up and over the filling. Then, tuck in the sides and roll the filling towards the top of the tortilla to seal the burrito. That’s it!
Meal Prep Tips and Serving Suggestions
After you fold the burritos, you have two options: freezing them or eating them right away. If you want to freeze the burritos, wrap them tightly in foil and transfer them to the freezer. They will keep well for up to 2 months.
To thaw them, I recommend planning ahead. Transfer a frozen vegan breakfast burrito to the fridge the night before you want to eat it. In the morning, pop it in the microwave for about 30 seconds just to heat it through. That way, the burrito will heat evenly. I’ve found that when I microwave one directly from the freezer it gets very hot on the outside before the middle starts to thaw.
Whether you’re freezing your vegan breakfast burrito or not, serve it with salsa on the side. I like mine with tomatillo salsa, tomato salsa, or pico de gallo. Of course, guac would be a great choice too.
More Vegan Breakfast Recipes
If you love this recipe, try one of these vegan breakfast recipes next:
- Overnight Oats
- Steel-Cut Oatmeal
- Homemade Bagels with Vegan Carrot Lox
- Avocado Toast
- Healthy Banana Muffins
- Homemade Granola
- Cinnamon Rolls
- Or any of these 30 Vegan Breakfast Recipes!
Vegan Breakfast Burrito
- Divide the spinach leaves among the tortillas. Top with the tofu scramble, black beans, red peppers, avocado, pickled onions, and serranos. Season with a sprinkle of salt and a squeeze of lime.
- Fold the left and right sides of the tortilla over the filling. Fold the bottom flap of the burrito up and over the filling, then tuck the sides and the filling as you roll the burrito. Wrap in foil, slice, and serve with salsa on the side.