I'm a huge fan of cauliflower rice, and this delicious turmeric cauliflower fried rice may be my favorite version yet. A great weeknight dinner!
Hello from Kyoto, Japan, where we’re currently on vacation and awake way too early and embracing the jet lag that has now made us morning people. I have to say, it’s kind of nice to start the day super early. Who knew one could accomplish so much in a day when you wake up at 5am?!
While I’m not giving up actual rice anytime soon, and certainly not while we’re in Japan, I love my cauliflower rice, and I especially love this turmeric-spiced cauliflower fried rice with creamy cardamom yogurt sauce. It checks all of those necessary weeknight-friendly recipe boxes: it’s easy to make, requires minimal ingredients, and its delicious flavor is more than the sum of its parts. I based this on a similar recipe from our cookbook (the Curried Cauliflower Rice), but this cauliflower fried rice uses all cauliflower rice instead of basmati rice, and its steps are a bit simplified.
To make this cauliflower fried rice, simply cook everything that’s in the photo above :). Season it well with curry powder, turmeric, and a squeeze of lime. Don’t skip the yogurt sauce, it’s my favorite part, especially when you serve this dish with naan bread for scooping and dipping.
I should add that while there are chopsticks in this photo, the fine cauliflower rice granules really work best with a fork!
Cauliflower Turmeric Rice
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- ½ cup yellow onion
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 small bunch broccolini, chopped, stems finely diced
- ½ cup cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ teaspoon curry powder, more if desired
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice, plus lime slices for serving
- 2 cups cauliflower rice
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- ¼ cup toasted cashews
- red pepper flakes or hot sauce, as desired
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- naan bread, for serving
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup Greek yogurt*
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Make the cardamom yogurt: In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, lime juice, cardamom, salt, and black pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, diced broccolini stems, ¼ teaspoon of salt and a few grinds of freshly ground black pepper. Cook 5 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally. Add the broccolini florets and the chickpeas and cook 4 minutes or until the broccolini is tender but still bright green.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the curry powder and turmeric, and then the lime juice. Add the cauliflower rice and the scallions. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is warmed through and the scallions are softened. Season to taste and top with the cashews, red pepper flakes, and cilantro. Serve with scoops of the cardamom yogurt on top and the lime slices, naan bread, and hot sauce on the side.