This easy strawberry margarita recipe is fruity, tart, and sweet. Served on the rocks, it's such a delicious, refreshing summer treat!
What better way to kick off summer than with a strawberry margarita?! It’s fruity, it’s refreshing, and it’s SO darn fun. And despite its impressive appearance (check out that ruby red color!), it’s easy to make. Blitz up a quick strawberry puree in a blender, and add some to a cocktail shaker with 5 simple ingredients. Then, just shake and serve!
I especially love this strawberry margarita recipe because it has an extra-summery twist. Instead of making it with regular simple syrup, I use simple syrup infused with basil. It brings so much freshness and depth to this already-delicious drink. Add a garnish of fresh basil leaves for a festive finishing touch.
Strawberry Margarita Recipe Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this strawberry margarita recipe:
- Strawberries, of course! I generally make this recipe with thawed frozen strawberries (one 10-ounce bag is the perfect size for 4 margaritas). But if you have great fresh strawberries, they’d work well here too.
- Tequila – Use your favorite silver, or blanco, tequila here.
- Orange liqueur – Think Cointreau, Grand Marnier, or triple sec.
- Lime juice – Freshly squeezed, please! It makes this strawberry margarita tangy and bright.
- Simple syrup – For sweetness. Follow the herbed variation in the recipe to infuse it with fresh basil flavor. Of course, feel free to use regular simple syrup if you prefer.
- Salt – For the rim of the glass. Regular sea salt, kosher salt, and flaky sea salt all work well!
- And ice – Because I always like this margarita on the rocks.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
How to Make a Strawberry Margarita
To make this strawberry margarita recipe, you’ll start by prepping two components: the simple syrup and the strawberry puree.
To make the simple syrup, follow the instructions in this recipe. The whole process just takes 15 minutes!
While the simple syrup infuses, puree the strawberries. Place 10 ounces of hulled fresh berries or thawed frozen berries in a blender. Puree until completely smooth. Strain the puree to remove the seeds and any foam.
Then, mix up the strawberry margarita! Start by salting the rim of a glass. Rub the rim with a lime wedge, and dip the glass in a small plate of salt. Fill the glass with ice.
Place 2 ounces of the strawberry puree in a cocktail shaker with the tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice, simple syrup, and more ice. Shake, then strain into the glass.
Garnish with a lime wedge, fresh strawberries, and basil. Enjoy!
Refrigerate (or freeze) the strawberry puree to make more margaritas later on, or, if you’re serving a group, shake up more right away.
More Favorite Summer Cocktails
If you love this strawberry margarita, try one of these summer cocktail recipes next:
For the strawberry puree:
- 10 ounces frozen strawberries, thawed (amount for 4 margaritas)
For each margarita:
- Sea salt for the glass rim, optional
- Handfuls of ice
- 2 ounces silver tequila
- 1 ounce orange liqueur, we like Cointreau
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice, plus wedges for the glass and for garnish
- ½ ounce Simple Syrup with basil
- 2 ounces strawberry puree
- Fresh strawberries and fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- Make the strawberry puree: Puree the strawberries in a blender. Strain to remove the seeds and any foam.
- Make the margarita: Optional step: Salt the rim of a glass by rubbing a lime wedge around the edge and dipping the glass into a small plate of salt. Fill the glass with ice.
- Place the tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice, simple syrup, and 2 ounces of the strawberry puree in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake and strain into the glass with the salted rim. Garnish with a lime wedge, fresh strawberries, and basil.